On April 7th, 1997, the USDA stated that all fluoride toothpastes sold in the U.S. must carry a poison warning on the label. It reads: “WARNING: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately.”
A tube of commercial toothpaste contains twice the amount of fluoride to kill a child: 143 mg in each tube. The killing dose for a 2-yr old is 60mg. For a 9-yr old it’s 120mg.
I’m bringing this to your attention because today I found a Children’s Chewable Multi-Vitamin with Fluoride that a child can chew and swallow. With 1mg fluoride per tablet and 100 in a bottle the accumulated dose is 100mg. And fluoride does accumulate in the body.
Make no mistake about it, fluoride is poisonous. Yet, most water supplies are treated with fluoride based on a faulty study that claimed children had fewer dental cavities in areas where fluoride was naturally high in the water.
You can read 10 Fluoride Facts on the Fluoride Action Network website.
When I wrote Magnesium Heals Cipro Damage I was warning people that fluoride is in about 50% of prescribed drugs making them extra toxic in they way they disrupt magnesium biological processes. But I didn’t put enough emphasis on the Fluoride-Magnesium Interaction. In that article are the following facts:
1. “Fluoride ion clearly interferes with the biological activity of magnesium ion.” And since magnesium does so much in the body, the side effects are often too widespread to recognize or even quantify.
2. One of the prime locations of possible fluoride (F) and magnesium (Mg) interactions is the intestines. The increased F supply reduces intestinal Mg resorption, owing to high chemical affinity of both elements and production of MgF+ and MgF2.” When I read this, I realized that’s another reason why ReMag in it’s Pico-Ionic form works so well because it’s absorbed directly into the cells and doesn’t reach the intestines and therefore is not inhibitied in its activity by fluoride. Fluoride levels are rising because it’s in our drinking water and in everything made or mixed with water.
3. “The toxic effect of fluoride ion plays a key role in acute Mg deficiency.” This means if someone is already magnesium deficient, fluoride toxicity is more pronounced. That’s why some people are damaged by the antibiotic Cipro and others aren’t.
4. “Mg deficiency in plants may limit synthesis of chlorophyll, on which photosynthesis depends. Therefore, supplementation of Mg protects plants against toxic effects of fluoride compounds.” I’ve noticed a huge improvement in my outdoor plants since I’ve been applying magnesium to counteract the effect of fluoride in the water.
5. “Mg deficiency in animals reduces production of energy, relevant to the Mg-ATP system. Reduction of ATP levels affects in an unfavourable way many metabolic processes connected with the action of ATP (eg, metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and active transport).” That statement speaks for itself.
6. “In summary, it can be stated that in intoxication with fluorine compounds, magnesium plays a protective role by countering and reducing the toxic effects of F.” Someone once asked me why she should spend money to take magnesium when it was just counteracted by fluoride! That’s like saying we shouldn’t bother eating because we just get hungry again. Magnesium will protect us against the toxic effects of fluoride and many other toxins.
Avoiding sugar and brushing your teeth after carbs and soda do much more for your teeth than fluoride. Even if fluoride gave some minor reduction in cavities it’s not worth it once you realize fluoride in any form kills magnesium.
I’ve said many times that magnesium is responsible for the activity of 700-800 enzyme processes in the body. In the Aug 2017 edition of The Magnesium Miracle, I write about fourteen major functions that appear in a textbook on magnesium in a chapter called “Divalent Cation Metabolism: Magnesium.”
I’ll mention the first of the 14 functions and follow up with the rest in later blogs. Some of the language is very technical but I want to give you a sense of the sophistication of this simple mineral. As you read what magnesium is capable of doing, just imagine how many necessary functions are interrupted when a person is magnesium-deficient…….
Carolyn Dean MD ND
The Doctor of the Future®
RESOURCES: Along the borders and in the links of my web site you can find my books, writings, and my call-in radio show. Email your questions to: email@example.com.