On April 7th, 1997, the USDA stated that all fluoride toothpastes sold in the U.S. must carry a poison warning on the label. It reads: “WARNING: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately.”
A tube of commercial toothpaste contains twice the amount of fluoride to kill a child: 143 mg in each tube. The killing dose for a 2-yr old is 60mg. For a 9-yr old it’s 120mg.
I’m bringing this to your attention because today I found a Children’s Chewable Multi-Vitamin with Fluoride that a child can chew and swallow. With 1mg fluoride per tablet and 100 in a bottle the accumulated dose is 100mg. And fluoride does accumulate in the body.
Make no mistake about it, fluoride is poisonous. Yet, most water supplies are treated with fluoride based on a faulty study that claimed children had fewer dental cavities in areas where fluoride was naturally high in the water.
You can read 10 Fluoride Facts on the Fluoride Action Network website.
When I wrote Magnesium Heals Cipro Damage I was warning people that fluoride is in about 50% of prescribed drugs making them extra toxic in they way they disrupt magnesium biological processes. But I didn’t put enough emphasis on the Fluoride-Magnesium Interaction. In that article are the following facts:
1. “Fluoride ion clearly interferes with the biological activity of magnesium ion.” And since magnesium does so much in the body, the side effects are often too widespread to recognize or even quantify.
2. One of the prime locations of possible fluoride (F) and magnesium (Mg) interactions is the intestines. The increased F supply reduces intestinal Mg resorption, owing to high chemical affinity of both elements and production of MgF+ and MgF2.” When I read this, I realized that’s another reason why ReMag in it’s Pico-Ionic form works so well because it’s absorbed directly into the cells and doesn’t reach the intestines and therefore is not inhibitied in its activity by fluoride. Fluoride levels are rising because it’s in our drinking water and in everything made or mixed with water.
3. “The toxic effect of fluoride ion plays a key role in acute Mg deficiency.” This means if someone is already magnesium deficient, fluoride toxicity is more pronounced. That’s why some people are damaged by the antibiotic Cipro and others aren’t.
4. “Mg deficiency in plants may limit synthesis of chlorophyll, on which photosynthesis depends. Therefore, supplementation of Mg protects plants against toxic effects of fluoride compounds.” I’ve noticed a huge improvement in my outdoor plants since I’ve been applying magnesium to counteract the effect of fluoride in the water.
5. “Mg deficiency in animals reduces production of energy, relevant to the Mg-ATP system. Reduction of ATP levels affects in an unfavourable way many metabolic processes connected with the action of ATP (eg, metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and active transport).” That statement speaks for itself.
6. “In summary, it can be stated that in intoxication with fluorine compounds, magnesium plays a protective role by countering and reducing the toxic effects of F.” Someone once asked me why she should spend money to take magnesium when it was just counteracted by fluoride! That’s like saying we shouldn’t bother eating because we just get hungry again. Magnesium will protect us against the toxic effects of fluoride and many other toxins.
Avoiding sugar and brushing your teeth after carbs and soda do much more for your teeth than fluoride. Even if fluoride gave some minor reduction in cavities it’s not worth it once you realize fluoride in any form kills magnesium.
Carolyn Dean MD ND
I’ve said many times that magnesium is responsible for the activity of 700-800 enzyme processes in the body. In the Aug 2017 edition of The Magnesium Miracle, I write about fourteen major functions that appear in a textbook on magnesium in a chapter called “Divalent Cation Metabolism: Magnesium.”
I’ll mention the first of the 14 functions and follow up with the rest in later blogs. Some of the language is very technical but I want to give you a sense of the sophistication of this simple mineral. As you read what magnesium is capable of doing, just imagine how many necessary functions are interrupted when a person is magnesium-deficient…….
Carolyn Dean MD ND
The Doctor of the Future®
RESOURCES: Along the borders and in the links of my web site you can find my books, writings, and my call-in radio show. Email your questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’ve edited the following information from a website called Antibiotics.org. http://www.antibiotics.org/ discussing the dangers of fluoroquinolone antibiotics.
In July 2008, the FDA imposed a black box warning on Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox and many other flouroquinolone antibiotics due to the serious side effect of tendon rupture causing long-term disability. A horrible irony is that Cipro is often prescribed post-op for tendon repair!
Here is a more complete list of side effects:
Tendonitis, Tendon Rupture, Tendon, Ligament, Joint and Muscle Damage, Vision Damage, Hearing Loss, Taste Perversion, Peripheral Neuropathy (Tingling, burning sensation), Insomnia, Nightmares, Anxiety Attacks, Depersonalization, Cognitive Disorders, Brain, Heart, Liver, Kidney, Pancreas, Blood and Endocrine Disorders, Severe Psychotic Reactions, Suicidal Thoughts or Actions Gastrointestinal Damage.
Drug interactions make the risk of injury with fluoroquinolones even higher. So the side effects could be even worse if you take a fluoroquinolone at the same time you are taking corticosteroids (Prednisone, Flovent, Nasarel, Azmacort, Advair Disku, Methylprednisolone Dospak, Elocon Cream, Desoximetasone Cream, and Sterapred) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs – Motrin, Pamprin, Aleve, Advil, and Ibuprofen).
?It’s estimated that tens of thousands of people are damaged by quinolone antibiotics each year, and unfortunately most are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. Misdiagnosis of these antibiotics can be called fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid diseases, myositis, heart problems or neuropaties of every severity and kind.
The effects of quinolone antibiotics are cumulative. Each person has a unique threshold of tolerance that once surpassed creates symptoms corresponding to various disorders, with long-lasting and permanent damage. Most people are exposed to quinolones through taking them as a drug prescription or through food consumption (most poultry and beef treated with these drugs).Read More
I have had a couple of comments questioning the doctors credentials and the validity of what is being said here about fluoride interfering with magnesium biological process. To back up that science is information below which comes from the Merks Veterinary Manual, which states:
“Fluoride is a cellular poison that interferes with the metabolism of essential metals such as magnesium, manganese, iron, copper, and zinc.”
It cannot be stated any clearer than that> Fluoride is a poison
You can click on the link below to take you to their site, but I have just post the most important part below.
The Merk Veterinary Manual states that “FLUORIDE IS A CELLULAR POISON”
Fluoride exposure from the environment has been associated with natural contamination of rock, soil, and water or from industrial waste or smelting processes. Fluoride compounds have been added to human water supplies at concentrations of ~1 mg/kg to reduce dental caries. This recommendation is not universally accepted……
……. Acute fluoride exposure at high concentrations will cause corrosive damage to tissues. In contrast, chronic exposure, which is seen more frequently, causes delayed or impaired mineralization of bones and teeth. The solubility of fluoride correlates generally with the degree of toxicity. Fluoride is known to interact with various elements, including aluminum, calcium, phosphorus, and iodine. Fluoride is a cellular poison that interferes with the metabolism of essential metals such as magnesium, manganese, iron, copper, and zinc. Because bacterial metabolism may be affected in a similar manner, this attribute accounts for the use of fluoride in dental hygiene products. Soluble fluoride is rapidly absorbed; ~50% is excreted by glomerular filtration. More than 95% of the fluoride that is retained is deposited in the bones and teeth, forming hydroxyapatite after the interference with calcium metabolism and replacement of hydroxyl ions. At low levels of fluoride exposure, the solubility of the enamel is reduced, resulting in protection. At higher levels of exposure, the enamel becomes dense and brittle. If exposure occurs during pregnancy, developing bones and teeth are severely affected. Faulty, irregular mineralization of the matrix associated with altered ameloblastic, odontoblastic, or osteoblastic activity ultimately results in poor enamel formation, exostosis, sclerosis, and osteoporosis.
“In point of fact, fluoride causes more human cancer death, and causes it faster, than any other chemical.” – Dr. Dean Burk